Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I'll Get Straight to the Point Here

Technically I’ve already written something today (titled “Fabric Softener”) to satisfy my current New Year's Resolution, but since I posted it over on my main blog (Moody’s Notebook) I figured that to maintain this little blogette’s integrity without being redundant I should also post something here, so I’m continuing to bang away at the keyboard as you read along in an effort to compose an interesting, but if not interesting, at least a lengthy sentence, and by lengthy I mean comparatively lengthy, at least if you’re comparing it to sentences in recent works of literature which you probably are, while at the same time you’re probably wondering if my English teacher ever taught me about run-on sentences, which by the way she did not, and she was also a little vague about comma, placement so you might cut me a little slack in that department as well, but if you ever read the original version of Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe, and I recommend that you do, then you’d realize that this sentence isn’t really all that long, even though it does take a lot of punctuation marks, viz., commas to keep it going, because that Defoe guy could really go on and on without ever striking the period key, which of course he never struck because he wrote in old English long before typewriters let alone computer keyboards had been invented, so maybe what I should say instead is wow, that Dan Defoe sure could go a long way between quill dots, and by quill dots of course I mean those small round dots made of ink placed at the end of sentences scribed on parchment by a quill pen, or similar eighteenth century writing utensil, not unlike the modern period which these days can be summoned by a simple keystroke as I am about to demonstrate here!   oops, here.

1 comment:

  1. Defoe ran out of ink which is why his prose was so...run on.

    Those simple keystrokes can conjure up all sorts of problems...like pubic instead of public.

    With a quill pen and ink there were less communication mistakes. Writing was deliberate with no chance of fat-fingering the wrong key or skipping a key altogether.

    ReplyDelete